Join us as we embark on a journey to a magical world through this list of the best The Wizard of Oz quotes!
Nowadays, works of fiction with great moral lessons are getting scarcer by the day.
Thankfully, we’ll always have The Wizard of Oz—a movie released in 1939 that takes us on Dorothy Gale’s journey to the vibrant and colorful Land of Oz.
Five Quotes That Could Change Every... Five Quotes That Could Change Everything
Five Quotes That Could Change Every...
Five Quotes That Could Change Everything
The movie was based on L. Frank Baum’s novel published in 1900.
As Dorothy and her dog, Toto, try to find their way back home, they meet many new friends that’ll teach them about genuine friendship, courage, and living life with compassion.
The Wizard of Oz is a timeless classic from which people of all ages can pick up lessons.
So, if you’re a fan of the movie or the book, make sure you read through this collection!
We’ve gathered the best lines from your favorite characters, which you will surely love!
Continue to the complete list below.
And don’t forget to check out these Beauty and the Beast quotes and The Lion King quotes.
Best The Wizard of Oz Quotes
1. “There is no place like home.” – Dorothy Gale
2. “I shall take the heart. For brains do not make one happy, and happiness is the best thing in the world.” – The Tin Man
3. “I am content in knowing I am as brave as any best that ever lived, if not braver.” – The Cowardly Lion
4. “No matter how dreary and gray our homes are, we people of flesh and blood would rather live there than in any other country, be it ever so beautiful.” – Dorothy Gale
5. “A heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” – The Tin Man
6. “If we walk far enough, we shall sometime come to someplace.” – Dorothy Gale
7. “Now I know I’ve got a heart, ’cause it’s breaking.” – The Tin Man
8. “It was a terrible thing to undergo. But during the year I stood there, I had the time to think that the greatest loss I had known was the loss of my heart. While I was in love, I was the happiest man on earth.” – The Tin Man
9. “You have plenty of courage, I am sure. All you need is confidence in yourself. There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger. The true courage is in facing danger when you are afraid, and that kind of courage you have in plenty.” – The Wizard of Oz
10. “Somewhere over the rainbow, bluebirds fly. Birds fly over the rainbow. Why then, oh why can’t I? If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow, why oh why can’t I?” – Dorothy Gale
Famous The Wizard of Oz Quotes
11. “It is such an uncomfortable feeling to know one is a fool.” – Scarecrow
12. “You people with hearts, have something to guide you, and need never do wrong; but I have no heart, and so I must be very careful.” – The Tin Man
13. “Frightened? Child, you’re talking to a man who’s laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe. I was petrified.” – The Wizard of Oz
14. “I didn’t mean to kill her. Really, I didn’t. It’s just that he was on fire.” – Dorothy Gale
Also read: Famous Quotes, Encouraging Quotes
Motivational The Wizard of Oz Quotes That Will Give You Courage
15. “Courage! What makes a king out of a slave? Courage!” – The Cowardly Lion
16. “You are under the unfortunate impression that just because you run away you have no courage; you’re confusing courage with wisdom.” – The Wizard of Oz
17. “A baby has brains, but it doesn’t know much. Experience is the only thing that brings knowledge, and the longer you are on earth the more experience you are sure to get.” – The Wizard of Oz
18. “That must be a matter of opinion. For my part, I will bear all the unhappiness without a murmur, if you will give me the heart.” – The Tin Man
The Wizard of Oz Quotes to Get a Glimpse of Deep Matters of the Heart
19. “As for you, my galvanized friend, you want a heart. You don’t know how lucky you are not to have one. Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable.” – The Wizard of Oz
20. “I think you are wrong to want a heart. It makes most people unhappy. If you only knew it, you are in luck not to have a heart.” – The Wizard of Oz
21. “Once I had brains, and a heart also; so, having tried them both, I should much rather have a heart.” – The Tin Man
Also read: Grease Quotes, Mamma Mia Quotes
The Wizard of Oz Quotes From Glinda
22. “Are you a good witch or a bad witch?” – Glinda
23. “You’ve always had the power, my dear, you just had to learn it yourself.” – Glinda
24. “Only bad witches are ugly.” – Glinda
25. “Because she wouldn’t have believed me. She had to learn it for herself.” – Glinda
26. “You’ve no power here! Begone, before someone drops a house on you too!” – Glinda
Also read: La La Land Quotes, The Greatest Showman Quotes
The Wizard of Oz Quotes From Dorothy
27. “If I ever go looking for my heart’s desire again, I won’t look any further than my own backyard. Because if it isn’t there, then I never really lost it, to begin with!” – Dorothy Gale
28. “Don’t be silly, Toto. Scarecrows don’t talk.” – Dorothy Gale
29. “Someplace where there isn’t any trouble. Do you suppose there is such a place, Toto? There must be.” – Dorothy Gale
30. “My! People come and go so quickly here!” – Dorothy Gale
31. “Never give up, Ojo. No one knows what’s going to happen next.” – Dorothy Gale
32. “Toto, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.” – Dorothy Gale
33. “Lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh my!” – Dorothy Gale
34. “My goodness, what a fuss you’re making! Well naturally, when you go around picking on things weaker than you are. Why, you’re nothing but a great big coward!” – Dorothy Gale
35. “Toto, we’re home. Home! And this is my room, and you’re all here. And I’m not gonna leave here ever, ever again because I love you all.” – Dorothy Gale
The Wizard of Oz Quotes From the Lion
36. “Wait a minute, fellows. I was just thinking. I really don’t want to see the Wizard this much. I’d better wait for you outside.” – The Cowardly Lion
37. “It is my great sorrow, and makes my life very unhappy. But whenever there is danger, my heart begins to beat fast.” – The Cowardly Lion
38. “You’re right, I am a coward! I haven’t any courage at all. I even scare myself.” – The Cowardly Lion
39. “That doesn’t do any good, I’m afraid of ’em.” – The Cowardly Lion
40. “I have always thought myself very big and terrible, yet such small things as flowers came near to killing me, and such small animals as mice have saved my life. How strange it all is!” – The Cowardly Lion
The Wizard of Oz From the Scarecrow
41. “If anyone treads on my toes or sticks a pin into me, it doesn’t matter, for I can’t feel it. But I do not want people to call me a fool.” – Scarecrow
42. “I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed.” – Scarecrow
43. “If you only had a brain in your head you would be as good as a man as any of them, and a better man than some of them. Brains are the only things worth having in this world, no matter whether one is a crow or a man.” – Scarecrow
44. “Of course I cannot understand it. If your heads were stuffed with straw, like mine, you would probably all live in beautiful places, and then Kansas would have no people at all. It is fortunate for Kansas that you have brains.” – Scarecrow
45. “For I consider brains far superior to money in every way. You may have noticed that if one has money without brains, he cannot use it to his advantage; but if one has brains without money, they will enable him to live comfortably to the end of his days.” – Scarecrow
The Wizard of Oz Quotes by Other Characters
46. “Well, how would you like to have someone come along and pick something off of you?” – Angry Apple Tree
47. “Almira Gulch, just because you own half the county doesn’t mean that you have the power to run the rest of us. For 23 years, I’ve been dying to tell you what I thought of you, and now—well, being a Christian woman, I can’t say it!” – Auntie Em
48. “If I run, I may fall down and break myself. But one is never so pretty after being mended, you know.” – Princess China
49. “We dare not harm this little girl for she is protected by the Power of Good, and this is greater than the Power of Evil.” – The King of the Winged Monkeys
The Wizard of Oz Quotes to Remember
50. Dorothy Gale: “How can you talk, if you haven’t got a brain?”
Scarecrow: “I don’t know. But, some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don’t they?”
51. “Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.” – The Wizard of Oz
52. “There’s only one thing I want you guys to do—talk me out of it.” – The Cowardly Lion
53. “Would you do with a brain if you had one?” – Dorothy Gale
54. “You billowing bale of bovine fodder!” – The Wizard of Oz
55. “I hope your tail holds out!” – The Tin Man
56. Dorothy Gale: “Oh, you’re the best friends anybody ever had. And it’s funny, but I feel as if I’d known you all the time, but I couldn’t have, could I?”
Scarecrow: “I don’t see how. You weren’t around when I was stuffed and sewn together, were you?”
The Tin Man: “And I was standing over there, rusting for the longest time.”
Dorothy Gale: “Still, I wish I could remember, but I guess it doesn’t matter anyway. We know each other now, don’t we?”
57. “Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high, there’s a land that I’ve heard of once in a lullaby.” – Dorothy Gale
More The Wizard of Oz Quotes for Fans of the Book
58. “We must journey on until we find the Road of the Yellow Brick again, and then we can keep on to the Emerald City.” – L. Frank Baum, Author
59. “You are welcome, most noble sorceress to the land of the Munchkins. We are so grateful to you for having killed the Wicked Witch of the East, and for setting our people free from the bondage.” – L. Frank Baum, Author
60. “I should like to live here all my life. See how soft the dried leaves are under your feet and how rich and green the moss is that clings to these old trees. Surely no wild beast could wish for a pleasanter home.” – L. Frank Baum, Author
Did These The Wizard of Oz Quotes Help You Realize the Power You Have Within?
Our very own Yellow Brick Road can get quite bumpy. But, if we know what we’re working toward, if we are true to ourselves, and if we surround ourselves with people who love us, reaching our destination will not be impossible. After all, what we need to be happy is already within us; this is a lesson The Wizard of Oz tries to impart.
We tend to seek validation and love from others when all we really need is to accept ourselves for who we truly are. The road to our goals will never be easy, but like Dorothy, never quit and never stop dreaming.
In the same way, like her friends, remember that you already have everything you need to reach the top. The Scarecrow is looking for a brain, The Tin Man is looking for a heart, and The Cowardly Lion is looking for courage. But, in the end, the three of them realize that if they just reflected on themselves and looked within, everything they were looking for was just inside them, waiting to be discovered.
The Wizard of Oz is just jam-packed with valuable pearls of wisdom that can change the trajectory of our lives. We hope you were able to gather a few of them by reading through the list above. Make sure you watch out for more lessons the next time you re-watch the movie!
Who’s your favorite character from The Wizard of Oz? Which quote is your favorite? Comment below!
- 20 Secondhand Lions Quotes on Trusting Life’s Uncertainties
- 25 The Hunger Games Quotes on Bravery, Sacrifice, and Love
- 30 Beauty and the Beast Quotes
“If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with! Is that right?”What did the Cowardly Lion say about courage? ›
"Then, if you don't mind, I'll go with you," said the Lion, "for my life is simply unbearable without a bit of courage." "You will be very welcome," answered Dorothy, "for you will help to keep away the other wild beasts. It seems to me they must be more cowardly than you are if they allow you to scare them so easily."What are the quotes from the Land of Oz? ›
“As a matter of fact, we are none of us above criticism; so let us bear with each other's faults.” “To 'know Thyself' is considered quite an accomplishment.” “But you will admit that it is a very good thing to be alive.” “Everything in life is unusual until you get accustomed to it.”What does Glinda say to Dorothy at the end of the movie? ›
Glinda leaned forward and kissed the sweet, upturned face of the loving little girl. "Bless your dear heart," she said, "I am sure I can tell you of a way to get back to Kansas." Then she added, "But, if I do, you must give me the Golden Cap."What is a great quote by Dorothy Parker? ›
“I can't write five words but that I change seven.” “If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to.” “You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.” “There's a hell of a distance between wise-cracking and wit.What are the top 10 movie quotes? ›
- “ May the Force be with you.” - Star Wars, 1977.
- “ There's no place like home.” - The Wizard of Oz, 1939.
- “ I'm the king of the world!” - ...
- “ Carpe diem. ...
- “ Elementary, my dear Watson.” - ...
- “ It's alive! ...
- “ My mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. ...
- “ I'll be back.” -
True courage is in facing danger when you are afraid. You have plenty of courage, I am sure. All you need is confidence in yourself. There is no living thing that is not afraid when it faces danger.What is a famous quote about courage? ›
- Martin Luther King, Jr. "I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." "Never let the fear of striking out get in your way."What is the Cowardly Lion's funny quote? ›
The Cowardly Lion's Funny "Fear" Joke
Cowardly Lion: All right, I'll go in there for Dorothy. Wicked Witch or no Wicked Witch, guards or no guards, I'll tear them apart. I may not come out alive, but I'm going in there. There's only one thing I want you fellows to do.
A thin line separates success from failure, the great companies from the ordinary ones. Below that line lies excuse making, blaming others, confusion, and an attitude of helplessness, while above that line we find a sense of reality, ownership, commitment, solutions to problems, and determined action.
At the conclusion of the 1939 MGM motion picture version of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Dorothy Gale makes a statement that sums up one of the film's major themes. "Oh, but anyway, Toto," she exclaims, "we're home—home!What was the last line of The Wizard of Oz? ›
[last lines] Oh, but anyway, Toto, we're home – home! And this is my room – and you're all here – and I'm not going to leave here ever, ever again, because I love you all!What does the wicked witch say when she dies? ›
Look what you've done!! I'm melting, melting. Ohhhhh, what a world, what a world. destroy my beautiful wickedness.What did the good witch say in The Wizard of Oz? ›
And then there's the way her character affirms old-fashioned ideas about the value of beauty: “Only bad witches are ugly,” Glinda tells Dorothy upon their meeting.What does Dorothy say to Scarecrow at the end of the movie? ›
9. "I think I'll miss you most of all." Thus Dorothy says goodbye to the Scarecrow.What are 5 famous quotes? ›
|That's one small step for a man, a giant leap for mankind.||Neil Armstrong||English|
|The love of money is the root of all evil.||the Bible||Greek|
|The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.||Franklin D. Roosevelt||English|
|The truth will set you free.||the Bible||Greek|
What is Dorothy Parker's best poem? 'The Choice' and 'But Not Forgotten' are two Dorothy Parker poems sometimes cited as the poet's best. Other well-known pieces include 'Resumé' and 'A Dream Lies Dead.What is a famous quote from Dorothy Day? ›
We cannot love God unless we love each other, and to love we must know each other. We know God in the breaking of bread and we know each other in the breaking of bread, and we are not alone anymore. Heaven is a banquet and life is a banquet, too, even with a crust, where there is companionship.What is the greatest movie line of all time? ›
|1||"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."||1939|
|2||"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse."||1972|
|3||"You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."||1954|
|4||"Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore."||1939|
- "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn." Gone with the Wind (1939) ...
- "I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse." The Godfather (1972) ...
- "You don't understand! I coulda had class. ...
- "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." The Wizard of Oz (1939) ...
- "Here's looking at you, kid."
Personal Symbolism – The Cowardly Lion represents the inner child or self. The courage seeking Cowardly Lion is the character that most closely represents Baum in the book.What is the moral of the story cowardly lion? ›
Courage is not the absence of fear, but moving ahead despite fear.What did Dorothy call the Cowardly Lion? ›
When he tries to bite Toto, Dorothy slaps him. She calls the Lion a coward and the Lion admits that he is.What are 5 quotes about bravery? ›
The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." Oliver Wendell Holmes: "Have the courage to act instead of react." Ovid: "Courage conquers all things: it even gives strength to the body." Pablo Casals: "It takes courage for a person to listen to his own goodness and act on it."What are some quotes about kindness and bravery? ›
“Life is mostly froth and bubble; Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in our own.” “No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.” “Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.”What are good short quotes? ›
- The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. - ...
- The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing. - ...
- Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. ...
- If life were predictable it would cease to be life, and be without flavor. -
All shall be done, but it may be harder than you think. If you've been up all night and cried till you have no more tears left in you - you will know that there comes in the end a sort of quietness. You feel as if nothing was ever going to happen again.What is the wise monkey quote? ›
“see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil”
The three wise monkeys and this proverb are known throughout Asia and in the Western world!
It goes something like this: 'Do unto others twenty-five percent better than you expect them to do unto you.What is the famous quote about the circle of life? ›
It's the circle of life, and it moves us all, through despair and hope, through faith and love, 'till we find our place, on the path unwinding. Even the seasons form a great circle in their changing, and always come back again to where they were.
Every single pleasure I can imagine or have experienced is more delightful, more of a pleasure, if you take it in small sips, if you take your time.What is The Wizard of Oz a metaphor for? ›
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz as a Metaphor
The story is an allegory for the rise of Populism that was occurring in the 1890s, as well as for the debate over whether to hold on to the gold standard for currency or to begin using silver.
In the “Wizard of Oz,” the film ends with Dorothy realizing that while Oz has shown her an entirely new and possible world that exists beyond her imagination, her heart still yearns for her home in Kansas.What does Dorothy call Oz? ›
Even Dorothy had hope that "The Great and Terrible Humbug," as she called him, would find a way to send her back to Kansas, and if he did she was willing to forgive him everything.Who was the first choice for Wizard of Oz? ›
quicklist:title: Oztext: W.C. Fields was the first choice to play the Wizard, but Harmetz said, "the studio wouldn't meet his price." Instead, MGM turned to contract player Frank Morgan. "It would have been a much different wizard with W.C. Fields," she said.What does Dorothy say to the Tin Man? ›
The Wizard says to the Tin Man: “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” Being successful isn't about pushing your agenda or having a slick pitch; it is about how you make people feel when they are around you.Who was the Miss of Wizard of Oz? ›
The Wizard of Oz (1939) - Margaret Hamilton as Miss Gulch, The Wicked Witch of the West - IMDb.What killed the Wicked Witch? ›
When she succeeds in acquiring one silver shoe by making Dorothy trip over an invisible bar, the little girl angrily throws a bucket of water onto the Wicked Witch. This causes the old witch to melt away.What is a famous quote witch? ›
Roald Dahl, 'The Witches'
"A witch never gets caught. Don't forget that she has magic in her fingers and devilry dancing in her blood."
Brandishing a warrant from the sheriff, Miss Gulch demands to take Toto to be destroyed. Failure to do so would bring the law down on Dorothy's family, and they would lose their farm. While Dorothy's Auntie Em reluctantly agrees to hand over Toto, she gives Miss Gulch a piece of her mind.
In the end, it is revealed that Dorothy can return home by simply closing her eyes, clicking the heels of the slippers together three times and repeating the phrase, "There's no place like home."Who kissed Dorothy Goodbye? ›
from Chapter 23 - Glinda The Good Witch Grants Dorothy's Wish. Glinda the Good stepped down from her ruby throne to give the little girl a good-bye kiss, and Dorothy thanked her for all the kindness she had shown to her friends and herself.Who is the most powerful witch in Oz? ›
Glinda is a fictional character created by L. Frank Baum for his Oz novels. She first appears in Baum's 1900 children's classic The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, and is the most powerful sorceress in the Land of Oz, ruler of the Quadling Country South of the Emerald City, and protector of Princess Ozma.What is the most famous line from The Wizard of Oz? ›
“Toto, we're home. Home! And this is my room, and you're all here. And I'm not gonna leave here ever, ever again, because I love you all, and - oh, Auntie Em - there's no place like home!”What are some famous lines from The Wizard of Oz? ›
- You have plenty of courage, I am sure. ...
- It is such an uncomfortable feeling to know one is a fool. ...
- If you only have brains on your head you would be as good a man as any of them, and a better man than some of them. ...
- During the year I stood there I had known was the loss of my heart.
The Wicked Witch of the West: Just try and stay out of my way. Just try! I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!What is the quote from Dorothy at the end of Wizard of Oz? ›
At the conclusion of the 1939 MGM motion picture version of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Dorothy Gale makes a statement that sums up one of the film's major themes. "Oh, but anyway, Toto," she exclaims, "we're home—home!What is the quote from The Wizard of Oz to Tin Man? ›
The Wizard says to the Tin Man: “And remember, my sentimental friend, that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others.” Being successful isn't about pushing your agenda or having a slick pitch; it is about how you make people feel when they are around you.What is the quote of The Wizard of Oz behind the curtain? ›
When Toto rips the curtain to the side, the Wizard of Oz realizes he's been found out, and tries to cover it up by shouting over his loudspeaker, "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"What does Dorothy say three times? ›
One of the most famous lines from The Wizard of Oz is "Click your heels together three times and say 'There's no place like home' and you'll be there." The ruby slippers were designed by Adrian, MGM Studios' chief costume designer and Hollywood's foremost designer of the Golden Age of Hollywood.
In that touching farewell scene in the [Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer] 1939 film [of THE WIZARD OF OZ], why does Dorothy say to the Scarecrow in her goodbyes, "I think I'll miss you most of all"? The Tin Man's comment about a breaking heart is obvious, but why does she single out the Scarecrow?What was The Wizard of Oz a metaphor for? ›
The story is an allegory for the rise of Populism that was occurring in the 1890s, as well as for the debate over whether to hold on to the gold standard for currency or to begin using silver.What is the quote from Wizard of the Crow? ›
- “The condition of women in a nation is the real measure of its progress.” ...
- “Does rough weather choose men over women? ...
- “Stories, like food, lose their flavor if cooked in a hurry.”
One of the creepiest moments in the entire movie is when Miss Gulch, Dorothy's nemesis in Kansas, transforms into the Wicked Witch on her broom. It's a powerful moment for the girl and for those in the audience, as it shows just how far she has ventured from the world she thought she knew.What were Dorothy Day's basic beliefs? ›
Day had a belief in gospel-based nonviolence - a literal embracing of Jesus' command that we love our enemies. She served as a model of holiness as a lay woman and a mother (Anderson, 1997). During the 1930's, she contributed seven articles, with social political themes, to the journal America.How old was Dorothy Day when she died? ›
Even before her death in 1980 at the age of 83, Dorothy Day was already being considered a future saint in the Catholic Church.